January 18, 2018: Meeting Minutes
Preserving Lake Greenwood
Serving Laurens, Greenwood, and Newberry Counties
The mission of Preserving Lake Greenwood is the conservation, care and protection of Lake Greenwood; its lake bed, shoreline, and environs; the rivers, streams, creeks and all other bodies of water which feed it.
Meeting Minutes January 18, 2018
The meeting was held at the Greenwood County Public Works building. Thank you to Mike Monaghan and CPW for the use of this facility for our meetings.
Attendees: Debi Bailey, Grant Blair, Bob Bowers, Kevin Cartee, Dr. Dan Koenig, Julie Davis, Jean Fishel, Claire Hamanaka, Joanne Hochheimer, Tom Hochheimer, Walker Moore, Chris Starker, Craig Stuckey, Walt Willard.
Greenwood County Lake Management – Julie Davis
- 2015 Sediment removal approved by county
- Not in cultural resource and critical habitat areas
- Must have permit –no cost (60 permits 2017, 25 permits 2018) good for one year
- Everything done at owners expense
- Amount that can be removed, updated in 2017 from 50cu yards to 500 cubic yards
Lake level is 434.5’, scheduled to be up to full pool by April 15 depending on rain amount
North American Lake Management Society Conference is April 16-18, 2018, Julie will attend, if anyone is interested in attending, please contact Julie Davis at Lake Management.
Welcome by Craig Stuckey
Christmas Parade – Grant Blair
The Greenwood Anglers participated, great turnout, fun for everyone. Thanks to Gunnell’s Marine for use of their boat. Ninety Six Anglers entered their parade on their own.
Upstate Forever – Chris Starker
- Upstate Forever Annual Luncheon is February 21. Sierra Nevada is feature speaker.
- Rain Barrel workshops coming in early Spring at Waterloo and Ware Shoals elementary school
- Camp Fellowship has agreed to store 60 barrels when they arrive
- Barrels come from Porta Rico, so unknown when they may arrive
- Updated Bylaws, approved by board, Changed name of Chairperson to President and Vice Chairperson to Vice President, Added President elect position, one year commitment followed by one year commitment as President, Classes added for rotation of board members
- Will be updating information with Secretary of State
- Will be exploring 501c3
- Next Board Meeting Greenwood County Chamber of Commerce (GCCC) will present to Board Benefits of being a member of GCCC. We are also trying to get someone from Laurens County Chamber to do the same. The board will then decide whether or not to continue our membership with those chambers.
- January 30, 8:30am, Chamber Meeting for New Members
Education and Outreach
- Website – Our domain expires March 19th
- February 9th is meeting for Design Group to trial new site providers’ tools, location to be determined
- February Speaker for our monthly meeting will be Clayton Cotney from Joe Adair Center in Laurens County
- Debi will be sending out article about Sediment Removal for approval to be published in local newspapers
- Tom will be attending a workshop for Continual Water Quality Monitoring. The Waterloo Water Wizards were selected to receive a water monitoring sensor, provided for a year, with the capability to view online data.
- At the start of the meeting, our current balance was $2391.14
- $120 was received from Walker for map sales
- $110 in cash donations were received by meeting attendees
- The address for the account needs to be changed to our new post office box, PO Box 371, Greenwood, SC 29646.
- The fee for the box will be $76 per year for budget planning.
- Signature Cards need to be set up for the new officers:
- Craig Stuckey, President
- Debi Bailey, Vice President
- Bob Bowers, Treasurer
Upcoming Events in the area
- Upstate Forever’s Forever Green Luncheon is Tue, Feb 27 (RSVP by Feb 2)
- Keep Greenwood County Beautiful – Lake Cleanup is Sat, Mar 3. The online registration site isn’t up yet, but Walt Willard will provide the link once it is known. Sites will remain the same as last year. PLG will have an information table at the park.
- Beautify Laurens County is Sat, Mar 3. No information is known on how to sign up or the locations.
- Friends of the Reedy River Spring Cleanup is Sat, Mar 17. Their website has details on the 2 locations to arrive at. No pre-registration necessary.
- Lobby Day & Oyster Roast is Mar 20th. This is offered by Upstate Forever and more information on how to register will be provided soon. Transportation is provided from their Greenville office. Anyone may contact Shelley Robins for more information at email@example.com
- Team Ecology at the Joe Adair Outdoor Education Center is the week of April 16. They will be presenting in February with details on the program and how to volunteer.
- The Southeast Lakes & Streams Conference will be held April 16 – 18 in Asheville. Julie Davis may be presenting.
Connect Lake Greenwood Summit
- This event will be April 19th at Piedmont Technical College
- After discussing the Exhibitor Table vs Bronze Sponsorship, the final decision (voted electronically following our meeting) is to remain with the Exhibitor Table.
- Debi, Craig, and Walker have volunteered to man our table at the event. Grant will also be in attendance and may assist.
- We will print the small information cards to hand out, have a donation jar, and sell maps.